The Gulf Intracoastal Canal Association is a not-for-profit trade association. The mission of the Gulf Intracoastal Canal Association (GICA) is to facilitate commerce through ensuring safe, reliable, and efficient Gulf Coast waterways.
Established in 1905, GICA is the respected, objective, and authoritative voice for inland navigation throughout all 1200 miles of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. Working collaboratively across all sectors of the inland marine industry, and a wide array of diverse local, state, and federal partners, the Association maximizes the safety, stability, and growth of the maritime industry to benefit all.
Consisting of 160 member companies, individuals, and agencies, GICA accomplishes its mission by:
- Identifying, analyzing, addressing, and publicizing issues that affect the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, its towboat and barge operators, shippers, and supporting industries;
- Educating members, prospective members, community groups, the public, and government officials about the unique and critical Gulf Intracoastal Waterway system;
- Ensuring an adequate and continuous flow of federal funds for both maintenance and construction of the Waterway through forceful advocacy at all levels of government; and also by underscoring the value to the nation of continued investment;
- Partnering with other regional and national industry organizations by supporting their efforts and, in turn, seeking their assistance when necessary;
- Pursuing innovative, economical, and environmentally acceptable methods of maintaining the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, its tributaries and ports;
- Developing common sense methods to preserve, protect, enhance, and restore coastal wetlands while maintaining our vital Waterway by reaching consensus with responsible government agencies and private-sector groups;
- Identifying physical hazards and other opportunities to improve the safety and efficiency of the Waterway, keeping members informed and working with the U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to accomplish improvements.
OUR VISION: GICA – The Voice of the GIWW and its users